» By Sean McCully, Glavine Day

News Editor, Sports Editor

UPDATE: During his interview with police on Sunday, Aug. 23, Marcus Mitchell confessed to allegedly shooting the APSU football player on Sunday according to his arrest warrant.

According to the warrant, “[Mitchell said] he was in fear for his already battered and assaulted friends, which is why he shot the victim.”

Clarksville police found the victim with seven gunshot wounds, but were unable to locate the firearm used in the shooting after Mitchell confessed to allegedly throwing the firearm into a wooded area behind The Grove apartment complex as he left in his vehicle according to the warrant.

Mitchell’s court hearing will be on Tuesday, Sep. 1.

Original story continues below photo

marcus mitchell

The Clarksville Police Department has apprehended Mitchell in the alleged aggravated assault of an APSU football player, according to the Montgomery County Booking Log.

According to CPD Officer Natalie Hall, officers responded to reports of shots fired at the 1500 block of Nolen Road at 12:40 a.m. to find the victim. The alleged shooter was later apprehended during a traffic stop on Bluebonnet Drive.

The player, who has yet to be named, was transported to a medical facility and is now expected to make a recovery at Vanderbilt Medical Center, according to Hall.

Mitchell’s bond is set at $130,500 for aggravated assault, unlawful drug paraphernalia, simple drug possession and casual exchange and tampering with evidence, according to the Montgomery County Booking Log.

Head football coach Kirby Cannon declined to comment on the football player’s current state but said the morale of the team is in good shape.

“Sometimes bad things happen,” Cannon said. “We just have to keep going.”

Cannon’s official statement read: “Sometimes circumstances invade our world that are of a serious nature. We had a player who was shot at an off-campus event. We were shocked to learn of the event, but our focus right now is to try to support him in his recovery efforts. We’ve been in constant contact with the player’s family and are happy to note that he’s doing very well. As a team, we will continue practicing and preparing for the season.”

Detective Chris Cunningham was called in to take over the investigation. There is no further information at this time. If anyone has any information related to this incident, please call Detective Cunningham at 931-648-0656 Ext 5195 or the Crime Stoppers TIPS HOTLINE at 931-645-8477.

This is a developing story and will be updated accordingly.